I recently had a client who needed to switch subscriptions on Office 365. She had signed up for a trial and her company ended up purchasing it for her. Her trial was setup with her personal Microsoft sign in and the purchase was done with her work Microsoft sign in.
Office 365 Failed to activate after account switch
Switching accounts was easy enough:
- Open Word or another Office Product
- Select Switch Account (or click File > Account > Switch Account)
- Login with work account
When Word, etc. would start (after the switch) activation would fail.
- Search the computer for OSPP.VBS (in her case it was here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15)
- Open a CMD prompt with administrator priviledges
- Click Start Button [Microsoft Circle if you prefer] > type CMD > Right click the CMD.exe and select Run as administrator
- Type CD “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15” (or whatever the path to the OSPP.VBS is and press enter)
- Type cscript ospp.vbs /act
- Press Enter
At this point it registered, I closed the CMD window and opened Word and all was well.